Subtitle, reduxing my redux of my reduxed picture.
OK, this isn’t my most successful Monday Project, but below is my submission, after that is some sketches and a little discussion.
First the very original picture
And now, the redux…
And what the hell happened to get me from point ‘a’ to ‘b’?
Well, first I should explain, this picture is an idea I had of the old tale; the princess and the frog. I mainly wanted to do it because it’s been a while since I’ve tried to draw some sort of human/animal hybrid.
So I wanted the frog-man to be a large over bearing creature, desperate for it’s kiss and the princess was on a swing, representing at any moment that she could disappear (swing away). Anyway, this initial picture had all the elements, plus a I was thinking of doing a tree that the swing was attached to. The tree was also going to form the border for the right hand and top side of the picture.
Redux Part 1,
This was me just trying to change the scale of some of the elements. I’ve also go a trick which I do from time to time, that involves using several interior borders, each with their own point of perspective. Unfortunately, I hated the way the main figures came out.
Redux Part 2, the reduxing.
I decided to that it might suit things a little more if I went for simplicity. So I decided to remove all of the background altogether and in break down the figures into less detailed versions. But I still wasn’t really happy with the frog. So…
Redux Part 2, Subsection b.
A pencil version, detail of the frog which at this time I was considering making less ugly. I still wanted him large, but decided to make him less of a ball.. I was also playing with the idea of drawing the two figure separately and photoshoping them together. But, yeah, that sounded like two much work.
Redux Part 3, the revenge.
I here I abandoned my A4 sketch book and went down to an A5 and (two attempts later) I added colour. This is what ended up being the picture I’ve submitted. I wasn’t really happy, but I coloured it in and as I was doing going over again some of the outlines, I managed to put the pen through the paper and tear it. At that point I figured ‘that will do’.
Anyway, long story short, I think I stressed over this submission too much. As I said in my previous post, the MP for me is more about fun, but I think I wanted to make a big impression for the first theme that now that I’m helping out.
As it stands, I’ll probably put this illustration aside for a future redux. I’m very ‘meh’ about it as it stands now. However, it did feel good to sit down and do some drawing again.
And yeah, I never figured out how to make the frog look like it was going in for a kiss…